It took me a moment to figure it out what the anon mean. In some sense, I kinda agree with him. If you put your stuff on the web, you can’t expect much of a control over it. If not even the multi-billionaire music industry can, why could you? It’s not like you don’t own your creation. It’s just that you should expect this kinda of thing and getting worked up by it don’t make much sense to me as long that the “thief” ain’t making a profit out of your stuff. My stuff is here for anyone to get it w/o my consent as long they don’t claim as theirs and don’t use them to make money.
I feel/imagine that the issue also lies with claims of origination. Sites like 9fag go out of their way to try to claim that any images on there originate from there. Most of the complaints I hear from artists on this topic are about lack of sourcing.
Claiming copyright on images or even memes for any reason especially regarding money making is just sad/pathetic, if people really understood the purpose of these images, to make someone laugh, and if they threw their ego out of the window the internet would be a better place
Personally I wonder, do people dislike a lack of source as much as people lying about a source? I can’t tell you who puts out a lot of the images i grab off 4chan. But this means that while I don’t know the original creator, i also can’t give false credit to some imposter.
That’s the thing, in my opinion, people should just forget copyright exists when making these images, why even bother oneself with “giving credit”, most of the images are done in MSPaint, just for laughs, if someone puts like 10 hours into an images that is above the average, maybe a painting, then sign it of course, and even then I’ve seen some artists like “Meh, it’s just a picture, I’m glad people like it, I made it for them after all”. The only shit I hate is when 9gag and the rest of the ilk puts stamps that it originates from their site just to monetize on other peoples work. They should feel the shame, trying to stop it is pointless and you are just putting yourself on their level. A perfect example of the opposite mentality would be the Linux movement and the GNU Licence stating:
“Free software, to understand the concept, you should think of “free” as in “free speech,” not as in “free beer” “.
Is it unreasonable for me to hope that, when strangers on the internet are shown a handful of my images, they are also given the opportunity to check out the rest of my work, subscribe to see future output, etc?
When I complain about this sort of thing, I’m not trying to go back in time and force anyone to properly source my pictures. I’m not trying to force anything— other people keep bringing up copyright, not me. I’m just talking about being nice and sourcing.
Thousands of people read my tumblr. When people read things, sometimes it affects their later behavior. Attribution is one of those things that a lot of people don’t think about normally, but once they’ve had it brought to their attention they agree. So why wouldn’t I talk about it? Talking about it is pretty much all I can do.
How many of you think you’ll be more careful about sourcing and attribution in the future, because of posts like this?
- jon-e-five likes this
- glittergluespookery reblogged this from hejibits
- fallinggraces likes this
- ningen-light likes this
- swedish-sam reblogged this from hejibits
- swedish-sam likes this
- whatwouldjavertdo reblogged this from channelate
- narcotic-falcon reblogged this from channelate
- somefatkid reblogged this from hejibits
- gandalftheglitter reblogged this from hejibits
- jdirty likes this
- dsdude likes this
- scum-dog likes this
- 5pixels reblogged this from hejibits
- earthwyrmjym reblogged this from hejibits
- earthwyrmjym likes this
- headphonomatic likes this
- sanguinary-gen reblogged this from channelate
- sanguinary-gen likes this
- seanwakefield likes this
- mathiasdrako reblogged this from hamtigers
- hamtigers reblogged this from clockworkcalliope
- hamtigers likes this
- apheliavampire reblogged this from quietdoppelganger
- awkwardarceus likes this
- frenchrevolutionary reblogged this from clockworkcalliope
- frenchrevolutionary likes this
- clockworkcalliope reblogged this from quietdoppelganger
- quietdoppelganger reblogged this from hejibits
- atkdef reblogged this from hejibits
- atkdef likes this
- skittle-skattle reblogged this from hejibits
- hermit-the-grog likes this
- angealrising likes this
- xalder likes this
- iamthechinigan reblogged this from hejibits
- iamthechinigan likes this
- ramenandromance reblogged this from hejibits
- sassicorn likes this
- powtothenuts likes this
- thefedoragirl likes this
- cyberohero reblogged this from hejibits
- watching-for-the-doctor reblogged this from hejibits
- watching-for-the-doctor likes this
- strange-thing-in-the-corner reblogged this from channelate
- chick-with-a-laptop likes this
- heffry likes this
- new-age-art reblogged this from hejibits
- new-age-art likes this
- jsunny00 likes this